Sunday, July 8, 2012

Favorite Film Scores


A Tale of Two Sisters

Hello! Since I've been listening to a lot of film scores recently, as well as composing some piano music, I thought I'd share some of my favorite movie music:  


Midnight in Paris
(Stephane Wrembel)

I have a special place in my heart for this little film, and that's probably in no small part due to its easygoing yet heartfelt score. Woody Allen's love of jazz shines through here and Sidney Bechet "Si Tu Vois Ma Mere" has never sounded more timeless.   


A Tale of Two Sisters 
(Lee Byung-woo)

A classic K-Horror film, A Tale of Two Sisters takes a searing look at familial cruelty. Visually, this is my favorite film of the bunch and its main musical theme is gorgeous.     



Hana-Bi 
(Joe Hisaishi)

It would be possible to fill this whole list with scores by the incomparable Joe Hisaishi! This violent cop movie is visually arresting featuring artwork created by the director, "Beat" Takeshi Kitano (who also stars in the film), juxtaposed against bloody brutality. The main theme is one of Hisaishi's saddest compositions.



Amélie
(Yann Tiersen)

One of the most famous film scores of all! The arrangements aren't as intricate as Hisaishi's, but it would be hard to pass this one over.   

***

Sadly, movies are one of the few places to hear new classical music that isn't atonal, though I've heard that's changing a bit. Regardless, I'd like to hear music like this get more mainstream play. What are your favorite film scores?

--Pianoesque    


No comments:

Post a Comment